Working Groups support the delivery of REAP’s targets and advance specific thematic areas of work. Participation in Working Groups is voluntary, with interested REAP partners and observers invited to participate on a ‘opt-in’ basis. Working Groups may contribute to the preparation of policy papers and recommendations to the Board. The Working Groups and their areas of work remain flexible to the needs of the Partnership and will evolve with the implementation of REAP.
Currently, five working groups are addressing the following themes (noting these may adapt in line with needs of the partnership and the external environment):
1. REAP Target 1 Working Group on Comprehensive Risk Management: convening key stakeholders involved in supporting countries to create, develop and review their legal frameworks, policies, strategies and plans in order to achieve stronger coordination, alignment and complementarity. The overarching objective of the group is to help achieve REAP’s first target by 2025. The co-Chairs of this Working Group are UNDRR, and Ben Webster.
2. 3Ws (Who, What Where) of Early Action: mapping of existing early action initiatives to identify opportunities to scale up action. The Chair of this Working Group is Montserrat Barroso.
3. Marketplace: developing the REAP Marketplace to facilitate the connecting of partner support to needs on early warning-early action. The Chair of this Working Group is Gavin White.
4. Early Warning Initiatives: building coherence between existing initiatives, sharing learning and co-producing greater action. The Chair of this Working Group is Emma Flaherty.
5. Linking Early Action and Disaster Risk Financing: strengthening links between early action and disaster risk finance stakeholders, identifying good practice and future opportunities. The Chair of this Working Group is Ben Webster.
6. Linking Social Protection with Early Action: conducting research and developing guidance on the evidence base and effective practices, to mobilise further investment in shock responsive social protection systems that support early action. This group is co-Chaired by the UK and REAP Secretariat.
7. Risk Communication for Decision-Makers: addressing elements of REAP Target 4, ensuring that complex risk information is delivered to decision makers - from communities to government - in a timely, actionable manner. The Chair of this Working Group is Gavin White.